Kyle Bretl, Field Ecologist
As an Ecologist, Kyle Bretl specializes in monitoring streams and wetlands for mitigation compliance. He surveys existing site conditions using real-time kinematics and real-time networks to collect data for use in mitigation, monitoring and restoration. He utilizes Carlson with IntelliCAD to process survey data for mitigation, monitoring and restoration purposes. He performs on-site layouts of stream and wetland mitigation/restoration designs and assists in their construction. Construction includes checking the grade with a laser level and the building and installation of appropriate structures. He utilizes ArcGIS to create and project spatial and non-spatial information for differing projects. He performs stream and wetland delineations using methods like ACOE, Rosgen and Rapid Bioassesment Protocol. Kyle also assists in field sampling for macroinvertebrates, fish and water quality.
Kyle holds a Bachelor of Science Degree in General Resource Management with minor in Soil Science, Wildlife Ecology, and Natural Science from the University Wisconsin- Stevens Point. While doing undergraduate work, he conducted chemistry research in the field of nanotechnology with an emphasis on synthetic substrates for nanowire growth. Kyle also held a two year Internship with the Wisconsin Department of Transportation, where he assisted the environmental unit in the North Central Region with completing environmental duties related to highway design and construction for nineteen counties.
Training and Professional Certificates:
- The Lower Wabash River Workshop on Rehabilitation for Streambank Stability and Riparian Functions, ACOE – Evansville, IN 2011
- River Course 201: Natural Channel Design Principles, NC State University, Asheville, NC 2011
- Carlson Survey Beginner Training, Surveyor Central – Bowling Green, KY 2011
- Inexperienced Surface Miner Training, Office of Mine Safety & Licensing, Commonwealth of Kentucky 2011
- Inexperienced Surface Miner Training, Mine Safety & Health Administration, DOL 2011
- Regional Supplement Seminar and Field Practicum, Wetland Training Institute, Inc. – Frankfort, KY 2010
- Basic Wetland Plants, UW-La Crosse Continuing Education & Extension 2009 – La Crosse, WI 2009
- Adv. Wetland Delineation, UW-La Crosse Continuing Education & Extension – La Crosse, WI 2009
- Basic Wetland Delineation, UW-La Crosse Continuing Education & Extension – Waupaca, WI 2008
- Wisconsin DNR Karner Blue Butterfly HCP Monitoring Training 2008
- Professional Certificate: Wetland Professional in Training by Society of Wetland Scientists (In progress)
- Special college courses include: Design of Constructed Wetlands, Hydrology, Wetland Ecology and Management, Wetland Soils, Geographic Information Systems, Wetland Delineation, Wildlife Ecology and Conservation Ecology, Resource Policy and Law